Monday, February 11, 2008

Form a Mastermind Group

Four and a half years ago, my friends and I decided to start a book club focusing on personal and professional development. We knew that reading was vital to our success. We made a rule that you could only attend the meeting if you read the assignment for that week. We got together for a couple hours each Tuesday night and discussed what we had learned.

We had formed a group of like-minded, goal oriented people otherwise known as a Mastermind Group. The group served as a place to share ideas, brainstorm, and help each other reach our goals.

These meetings have meant so much to me over the years. Not only have I learned an incredible amount from the 70+ books we’ve read, I have forged lasting relationships both personally and professionally.

You may be saying to yourself, “I don’t know anyone that would want to do that.” If that’s the case, you may need to find some new friends. I have met tons of people at Barnes & Noble and Starbucks by just striking up a conversation with them. If someone is reading a book or magazine that is business related, I’ll just say, “What are you reading there?” It’s that easy. Most people read stuff that they are interested in and are happy to talk about it.

When forming your Mastermind group, I recommend meeting at least once a month for a minimum of 2 hours. Plan out an agenda so that the meeting itself is goal oriented. And it doesn’t have to be a book club. That is just how ours is set up. Be creative.

If you are the kind of person that is determined to be, do, and have what you want in life, start a Mastermind Group this month. You’ll be glad you did!